Saturday, September 1, 2012

Interlocking Icons

I've been sitting on a whole list if interlocking-letter logos, and I was trying to figure out how I wanted to go about it. I ended up having a change of heart, and decided to go with just three logos, what I'm calling the Interlocking Icons.

I also wanted to follow some guidelines, or create guidelines so I didn't end up with the unwieldy post like the unwieldy list in my computer folder. As iconic as the interlocking "LA" for the Dodgers are, it's not on the list, mainly because I wanted only one from each sport, and it's not the most iconic interlocking set of letters from baseball.

That one's an easy answer, and the title belongs to my Yankees:



When you're recovering from a long night of absinthe and Red Bull and cruising Prague's Sunday market for helpful fruit, and you see straw sun hats with the Yankees "NY" logo centered on the crown, you realize how transcendent it's become. For sale to people who mostly don't even understand the rules of the game, but understand that the "NY" means power, or wealth, or success, means you've reached "icon" status for this post.

The next isn't for a specific sport, but more for an institution, an institution that represents the hopes and aspirations for an entire white ethnicity, the interlocking "ND" for Notre Dame.



The Fighting Irish haven't been as important to American sports as they once were, but I'm going wih them because they're still important to the Irish, as well as the bigger east coast cities, at least from what I remember living in Brooklyn.

And then, I was thinking about NFL (there're aren't really any interlocking letter-logos from the NBA). The only really interlocking lettered team in the NFL is an icon out west, and definitely where I grew up (in Sacramento), as much an icon as Notre Dame is to the east---the 'Niners:



The San Francisco 49ers have represented the Bay Area in American football since 1946, as a charter member of the AAFC, and then being absorbed into the NFL in 1950. They ruled the football world when I was a kid, first with Joe Montana and then Steve Young, along with Jerry Rice, the GOAT at WR. I wasn't a fan (my mom's from LA, and liking any SF team was blasphemy at my house), so it was a tough time. I did, though, like the Giants in football, and with Phil Simms and Jeff Hostetler both winning Super Bowls, it wasn't like the Dark Ages or anything.

If I think I missed anything really iconic, or mostly iconic, I'll bring back this idea...the Dodgers' "LA" might count...maybe even the Giants/Mets orange "NY"...

No comments:

Post a Comment