Saturday, September 1, 2012

State Silhouettes on Logos

This may seem a little weird. One evening I was perusing a list of things, and noticed the silhouette of Wisconsin behind the had of the laughing "Brave" on a logo of the Milwaukee Braves.  

It was then I remembered having seen the Wisconsin silhouette before for the Brewers. Yeah...and also the silhouette of California for the Angels baseball team, back when they were branded the California Angels.

So, I then went collecting. Check out the differences in design eras, as the Brewers have changed their look a few times:


The star representing Milwaukee, and the royal blue and the broght yellow, back when the Brew Crew were still in the AL.

Then, after their first major logo change in years, when they shifted to the NL:


And then we get the slightly more accurate map, and the even-newer letter "M", and the wheat, signifying brewing material:


Here are the two Angel California silhouette, and again, notice the star, here representing Anaheim, noticeably inland from LA (I only know that because I live in the area):



Then I started to think: where else have I seen state silhouettes? In baseball, for sure there were ones used for the Twins, I remember from the baseball cards:


The older of the two is the second logo shown, but you get the idea. Two players, one from Minneapolis and the other from St. Paul, the "Twin Cities" and namesake for the team, shaking hands over a river. What river is that, you may ask? Well, none other than the Mississippi, probably the only time America's most famous river is shown on a logo, and it's in up in Minnesota.


It turns out that the silhouette also shows up on an old Lakers logo, back when they were the Minneapolis Lakers. They rock a locator star as well:


That got me thinking about basketball, because I could remember one set of New Jersey Nets logos actually sporting the state. Then I found it:


Rounding our football, we've got the Saints from New Orleans, another time a star is used to denote the city. Here are the two entries, the second the newer color scheme. It's crazy how easy it is to gloss over the minor changes to color scheme, and to only recognize it when they're right next to each other:



I deliberately left out all college teams that sport a state silhouette, mainly because there are so, so many. Also, the only Wisconsin silhouette I could find for the Green Bay Packers was a shitty file. The New York Islanders hockey team, playing their home games in Nassau County right outside of Queens, rock Long Island on their jerseys as they represent the entire peninsula, but until they succeed at secession, it didn't count for me, even though it's a pretty damn good representation.

No comments:

Post a Comment