Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Two NFL Logos that Haunt Me

The NFL has some logos that I consider some of the best ever. This is odd, as I'm first a baseball fan, and a fucking Yankee fan at that. So, who knows.

But, besides the electricity bolt (ingenious, San Diego), the fleur de lis (yes, francophones in Nawlins'), and the five-point star (from the despised Cowboys), there are two more logos from the NFL that I just can't get enough of, philosophically anyway.

The first is the Seahawk, from the team from the Pacific Northwest in Seattle.


Reason: damn, this is designed from, or inspired by, the totems and other indigenous images produced from the peoples from the area. I can't think of any other professional team in any other sport that actually use a design from a native people. I wouldn't be surprised if there others, but I can't think of them right now.

Now the next one I think may just be a product of my imagination. It takes a little imagination and an open mind to see this my way, but if you're open for it, this next logo may be one of the philosophically coolest ever.

It's the Buffalo Bills blue buffalo and red line.


I always figured that the line was reminiscent of a spear, that it was actually supposed to be a spear.

If that is a spear, then what would could have inspired this? For me, this logo always derived from a cave painting.

A logo based on an Ice Age era image, one of the oldest images produced by humans.

How could any other logos be as cool as that?

No comments:

Post a Comment