Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The Underrated Rhombus

One of my favorite flags ever rocks the rhombus. A rhombus is a special quadrilateral in which the diagonals cross at right angles. Think diamonds and kites, and squares. Squares are the boring bunch, here we're going to look at the non-favorite rhombuses.

The first is an American state, and has its name written on it, Arkansas:


I've never thought that having the name of the state on the flag is a good idea, but I don't ahve a problem with my own state flag, so...hypocritical much?

The next is also an American state, but it has the date of that state's ratification of the Constitution. Here's Delaware:


The Italians toyed with the idea of a rhombus during their unification times in the 1880s, and here it is, with those fine Italian colors:


I included this flag because I like it and it has a rhombus. It's for Cyberia, a robot country in the Olympics in the television show Futurama:


This flag predates a flag I'll be talking about later. This is the banner for the Brazilian Empire. After Portugal was invaded by Napoleon, the king fled and ruled from Rio for nearly twenty years, and this was their banner:


The rhombus: one of the least revered flag objects.

No comments:

Post a Comment