Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Entire Alphabet Logo Journey

Of the many ideas I have for logo posts, one is a series of posts looking at the different letters of the alphabet through logos. I don't know why I want to do this...probably because this is a blog for me, and I'd like to see these logos (and flags, for that matter) lined up. It helps add some order to my world.

Now, a set of guidelines I'll be working off of: I was looking for logos devoid of other letters or words, and generally trying to keep the "other stuff" out. This wasn't always achieved, but was pretty close. In addition, I looked for images with white backgrounds, implying that it was a primary logo, which I got most of the time. I also tried to pick logos for objects that weren't that obscure. And lastly, I was looking for logos that are currently in use, or as close to it as possible. Can you find the two (that I know of) that are slightly out of date?

So here we go:



I decided to go with the Arizona Diamondbacks instead of Atlanta or Alabama or the Wildcats or Oakland's team, because, well, that's how my mood was. It seemed surprising.



Hated Boston. The quintessential "B" team if ever there were one.


I went with the Bears here, mainly because I was looking for a clean "C", free of background color and other adornments.


The Old English "D" for the Tigers, pride of Detroit. Their "D" has been in an Old English font for many. many decades.


Not a sports franchise here with the letter "E", but something people will recognize. (Internet Explorer is not a program I'm using now, or pretty much ever, but the logo is pretty recognizable.)


I was trying to use logos that were mostly in use currently, but since this was in use last year for the Marlins, I went with it. I found a few college logos that could have worked, but decided against, because they were really minor schools (except Fullerton, but the logo was too attached to other words) that even I hadn't really heard of..


The classy Green Bay Packers "G" is perfect for us here. I remember a sticker I saw at a headshop that parodied the above "G" logo with a pipe-bowl where the up-curve meets the horizontal leg, and underneath it the words "Green Bowl Packers" was printed in similar lettering to the NFL team. I'll try and find it for here later.


For "H" I couldn't resist finding the University of Hawai'i Warriors logo. It was either this or an old Astros deal, but this one is so much cooler.


I think the Cleveland Indians should switch to this elegant cursive "I" for their permanent and current logo, but I may be in the minority in that camp. People just love Chief Wahoo.


Here we see the letter "J", taken from the recent past, before Toronto switched to a more retro Blu Jays look, which is, in my opinion, far superior to this angry jay.


In accordance with logos from everywhere and no other letters, our "K" comes from the Kellogg's Brand cereal, Special K. Back when I used to eat cereal, occasionally we'd have Special K at the house, and I remember liking it. It was light, and you could eat a ton of it before getting full, but it tasted pretty good.


The Lakers are a team I grew up with, but what kid didn't like Magic in the '80s? They were certainly better than our local team, the Kings. And with my mom being from Los Angeles, teams from there tended to be my secondary teams. Once the Kings got great, in the early aughts, my hatred for the Purple and Gold was in full bloom...but it never burned as hot as it does for the Red Sox. Now that we live in Lakernation, all I can say...salud.


So with "M" I went with the University of Minnesota. There are, really, plenty of M's out there (and even an "M's" itself), and I went with the Golden Gophers for three reasons: 1) my paternal grandparents used to live in a suburb of the Twin Cities and I still have a cousin and an auntie and uncle in the area; 2) an old sous-chef I had went there (he was from the sticks); 3) "Whattya watchin' there Wade?" "Errr...Gophers!"


For "N" I decided to stick with the Big 10 and went with Northwestern University. I have fond memories of watching a college football game when tiny Northwestern beat someone good, during a season when they were playing surprisingly well. For one, "N" teams are hard to find, for two, Northwestern is in Chicago, and I like Chicago.


Speaking of Chicago...Besides the Oakland Oaks, logos rocking an "O" are few and far between. And since I'm rocking all sorts of logos, here we've got something from Barry.


It's always sunny! I did my state report on Pennsylvania, and then my little league team was the Phillies, so I've always had a soft spot for the athletic-nine from Philly.


Surprising how many "Q" logos were out there. I like Quicktime more than Quiznos, which was the other readily available unadorned "Q" logo.


Who remembers? This may violate both the "non-obscure" and "still in use/very recently changed" tenets I set, but I couldn't resist. I remember watching my brother playing "Donkey Kong Country" for Super Nintendo and being simply blown away. Rareware, baby! Video game developer Rare made some great games from when I was in college, like Turok and, one of the most popular dorm games from the late '90s, Goldeneye. Donkey...Kong...Country, people! C'mon!



With so many great "S" logos, it was difficult to choose. Then I really started to look, and besides the Seattle Mariners, most sports teams have other letters attached. I suppose I should have gone with the Stanford "S", but my heart truly lies with Cal. I do root for Stanford vs USC, though. Instead I went with Ol' Big Greenie, a new nickname I'm starting. This is the S for Michigan State. Their nickname is the Spartans, but I'm pretty sure this big S is for State. Anywhere in Big 10 country, they know a big green "S" means you're a supporter of Michigan State.


It's a shame that this "T" is so small relatively to the other letters. Oh well. This is the representation of the "t" in the New York Times, the newspaper of record for, eh, the entire country. This "T" has become the de factor logo for all things considered important enough to report in the world. It's also the symbol they use for their app. You know me: all about newspapers.


The U. I don't think my dad was a Miami fan, but in the '80s the Jimmie Johnson and cocaine fueled football teams from Miami University, or "The U" as it was called (from this logo), were a championship winning terror. They did lose one of the most talked about bowl games during that span; they lost to Penn State. It was the villains vs the goody-goodies, or so we thought back then. Few sports logos of just a "U" are anywhere near as iconic as this.


Welcome to the meta-world (peace?) logo forum, where I have picked a presidential candidate's personal logo, some sports teams shit, and here, finally, I get around to television shows. This is the "V" from the show of the same name. It's probably floating around the internet from the most recent version of the show, but the original had a nice impact on me and my brother back when it aired. We used to get scared calling each other "lizard lips". Or something. It holds a small place in my heart, but I don't remember watching it then, and I haven't seen anything but commercials since it's been back. Go figure.


The Nationals. Go Nats! Rock the boat in the NL East. It's awesome how the best team in baseball right now is also one of the youngest.


I'd been thinking about this specific Xerox logo from the moment I wrote the first post in this series. I wanted to use it, or the cool X-Men x-with-a-circle. It was a no brainer.


This also was an easy out for me. This looks like the "Y" the Yankees use in their wordmarking font. And it is. But this is the logo for the Scranton-Wilkesbarre Yankees, the Bronx Bombers' AAA affiliate, and one I'd had in mind from the start.


This "Z" is for the Zurich Insurance Group. It reminded me of the Wordpress "W", and I'm not sure I'veseen it before. While "Z" remains one of, if not the, coolest letters in the Latin alphabet, it's used in surprisingly few sports franchise logos as well as in the major corporate logo realm. I almost went with the "Z" from the Z-cars, because I had a '71 240Z (holy cow, best sporty beast-car ever), but all the images for the logo were photographs of chrome emblems from the hood of cars. That just wasn't going to cut it.

I'm still trying to figure out if I did all this work for anyone besides myself. Even each of the little comments are mostly narcissistic Oh well.

I wonder if I could do it again...

No comments:

Post a Comment