Wednesday, October 31, 2012

One of my Favorite Flags

I realized during the Olympics that there is a flag that speaks to me, and I didn't even know it. You know it's got to be cool when NBC italicizes it and it still looks cool. No joke, they italicized the flags.

In any case, the more I thought about it, the shapes, color scheme, symmetry, and lone non-symmetrical elements are so well executed that it really appealed to the mathematician in me. Here we go:


Brazil, baby. While italicized you couldn't really make out the stars, which represent one for each state (and one for Brasilia, the capital) while also mapping out the night sky over Brazil, have the Southern Cross lined up on the meridian, and even have a star above the equator (representing the state of Amazonia), but, while italicized, you could make out other things. Green rectangle, yellow rhombus, and the combo of the blue circle and white band turned that into a sphere. Rectangle, rhombus, sphere. Seriously sweet.

The motto, "Ordem e Progresso", order and progress, makes sense for a country that doesn't really wage wars of choice.

This flag just speaks to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment