Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Navy Fields and Balls of Fire

These flags are some of my favorites.

The first is the European Union flag, and I'm not saying this because I prefer some archetypal European model of government to our own American one (although I might).


The EU flag is a circle made of golden stars on that navy field. I like those star shapes, I like circles, and I like the combo of gold/yellow and navy. 12 stars represent not twelve nations, rather an idealized world, where twelve is one of the ancient perfect, magical numbers. It's just a solid design and look. If they were green stars on a red field it'd be different for me, certainly.

This next isn't in use anymore, and may have only spent a very short time as an official, if ever. I know it'd be in the running for my own flag. I don't know, I just love the Inti:


Inti is the name of the native sun god for the some of the South American cultures. This particular design is the same as the Argentinian flag, as this was an early design during the revolution. It was also the "logo" we used on our wedding paper products (save-the-date; invitation; favors) by way of stamp.

Compared to this next flag, those two look more like "light navy".

Another navy and star that's hits home for me is the state flag for Alaska:


This is one of my favorite flags ever. I like constellations. The fact that balls of fire being a specific distance away from the earth form a symbol on to which people can latch, to which people can assign meaning has always inspired me to some degree.

Unlike the Southern Cross, which is on multiple flags, Ursa Major, or the Big Dipper, only seems to be here, for Alaska. No Orion yet? (I'm working on it, actually.)

I think, actually, my allure with this color scheme stems from my elementary school days. The color scheme there was gold and navy, which to me always seems to represent some idea of "California" for me.

1 comment:

  1. I like the sun one.... that is nice.... and I've always like the state Flag of Alaska.

    ReplyDelete