Friday, January 11, 2013

Nice Jerseys from Ebbets Field Flannels

Ebbets Field Flannels is a baseball (mostly) jersey making company who specializes in old-school accuracy, and this attention to detail is seen in their pricing. They have so many teams that I'd either never heard of or had heard of but hadn't really ever seen the jersey. Whatever. If you like jerseys, or at least at looking at jerseys, you'd love this site.

Here we see the only integrated team in the Southern Association (for a long time), the Atlanta Crackers. The name sounds funny, but it implies wheat cracking, and there have been plenty of teams nicknamed Crackers or Black Crackers.


Compare the color scheme and script writing to the current day Atlanta Braves team, the team that in 1965 put the final kibosh on the Crackers minor league team:


I like this jersey, but it isn't so old. It's from a Japanese team that has since changed their name. I like the Astro Boy patch on the left arm:


The solid blue is what drew me to this Indianapolis Clowns jersey. Well, that and #5 was the Hammer's number. The Clowns were like the Harlem Globetrotters: a barnstorming team that traveled and played communities' best teams, usually winning. They were a Negro League team during the death gasps of the various organized leagues known today as "the Negro Leagues." They survived a few years past the integration of the Major Leagues, into the fifties. It was during that time that a teenage Hank Aaron played, and this is what he wore (Hank's currently my favorite living old-timey player):


The idea that you could "Commies" on your jersey makes me laugh. This was a team from the 1920's that were known as the Commodores:


Here's my Seals collection. The San Francisco Seals were one of the two SF teams in the old PCL (along with the Mission Reds) and one of my favorite old designs. I identify with the old teams from the Bay Area, and the Seals had a few things going for them: pinstripes and Joe DiMaggio. These pictures show the various things that Ebbets Field Flannels do: caps, jerseys, jackets, and T-shirts. (I guess this entire post is basically a commercial for their site.)

The caps vary in years, and of these two, I prefer the second, the dark navy and white only:



Here's the jersey with the script. Out of all the Seals jerseys they have on their site, which is many, this is my favorite:


They make jackets and coats as well. I've been eyeing this one for a while. It makes the best sense considering our weather here (in Southern California) and how it's light wool with button fasteners:


The last thing I have here is a nice shirt from an old PCL team from my Home City:


I didn't intend to advertise for EFF when I started this post. It just happened like that. These were some jerseys and shirts I'd been sitting on, forgetting why I snatched up the pictures in the first place.

I imagine I might use a jersey from their site again, or from time to time, just to illustrate a specific point. That's why I had the in the first place...I just forgot the reason why.

Whatever.

I respect quality, and what they--Ebbets Field Flannels--do is quality.

2 comments:

  1. I got my brother the 1957 Seals jersey and hat from EFF. Impeccable quality, pricy but totally worth it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that Seals jacket, but it's barely cold enough here for it here.

    ReplyDelete